Re: HTML 3.2: PRE should not exclude IMG

Walter Ian Kaye (boo@best.com)
Fri, 31 May 1996 07:44:07 -0700

Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 07:44:07 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
From: Walter Ian Kaye <boo@best.com>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2: PRE should not exclude IMG

I use IMG inside of PRE on my "Directory of Files" page. It works
perfectly, though I use it in a "relatively safe" way, I think. :)

The algorithm Netscape uses is pretty simple:

 _____
 |:::|
 '---'

The image is 1.5 characters wide, so the following text begins at the next
"whole" character position. With a monospace font, the relationship between
characters and pixels is a very short arithmetic formula, so laying this
out is child's play for the browser.