Re: HTML 3.2: PRE should not exclude IMG

Gerald Oskoboiny (Gerald.Oskoboiny@ualberta.ca)
Fri, 31 May 1996 15:59:41 -0600 (MDT)

From: Gerald Oskoboiny <Gerald.Oskoboiny@ualberta.ca>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2: PRE should not exclude IMG
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 15:59:41 -0600 (MDT)

Walter Ian Kaye writes:

> I use IMG inside of PRE on my "Directory of Files" page. It works
> perfectly, though I use it in a "relatively safe" way, I think. :)
>
> The algorithm Netscape uses is pretty simple:
>
>  1--2--3--4--5--6--7--8--9--0--1--2--3--
>  _____
>  |:::| s--o--m--e--   t--e--x--t--
>  |:::|
>  '---'
>  a--n--d--   m--o--r--e--
>
> The image is 1.5 characters wide, so the following text begins at the next
> "whole" character position. With a monospace font, the relationship between
> characters and pixels is a very short arithmetic formula, so laying this
> out is child's play for the browser.

This isn't a safe use of IMG within PRE, because it is impossible to
create an image that's "1.5 characters wide."

(There *are* safe uses of IMG within PRE, but this isn't one of them.)

Gerald
--
Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald.oskoboiny@ualberta.ca>      Phone: +1-403-492-7698
Systems Analyst, Information Systems                   Fax: +1-403-492-7172