Re: Proposal: New Anchor attributes

Marc Salomon (marc@pele.ckm.ucsf.edu)
Fri, 24 May 1996 08:46:57 -0700

Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 08:46:57 -0700
From: marc@pele.ckm.ucsf.edu (Marc Salomon)
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Proposal: New Anchor attributes

1.  Unlike elements, where order is preserved, I do not believe that
an SGML parser must return attributes parsed as to order.

2.  SGML doesn't allow multiple occurrences of the same attribute in an
element.  I.e., you can't do <A HREF="1" HREF="2">.

3.  The HTTP/1.1 spec has facilities for specifying alternate representations,
but these only work if you can contact a server/proxy that knows such info.
A more robust design would include a mechanism for authors to specify
alternative content locations in the document for content that might reside on
different servers.

4.  Overloading ALT is problematic.  I had suggested that a convention of
space-separated URI's in an HREF (or SRC) like: <A HREF="1 2 3"> eenie meenie
minie </A> might work, but only for short URI's.  This doesn't break current
implementations (they retrieve URI 1), but can look ugly in the URI box.

-marc