Re: Proposal: New Anchor attributes

Ron Schnell (
Fri, 24 May 96 10:33:43 PST

From: Ron Schnell <>
Subject: Re: Proposal: New Anchor attributes
To: (Scott E. Preece)
Date: Fri, 24 May 96 10:33:43 PST

>  From: Craig Tinsley <>
> |
> | Ron Schnell wrote:
> | > I would like to propose two new attributes for the Anchor element.
> | > 1.  ALT=[URL]
> | > This attribute would specify an alternate URL should the HREF be
> | > unavailable.
> |
> | Though I believe the idea as a whole is a good one, I don't know whether I
> | would confuse HTML authors by offering another definition for ALT. It may be
> | less confusing to use something such as HREFALT (you notice that I state that
> | as though a typing *longer* tag name is more desireable than typing a shorter
> | one... ;-) ).
> ---
> There's no reason to assume that one alternate will be sufficient; you
> really should allow for a list of HREFs.  Since attribute syntax would
> make it difficult to convey a list of URLs in the value of the HREF
> attribute, it might be easiest to put the HREF into a sub-element of
> A (or any other element where alternatives should be provided:
> 	<A>
> 		<HREF></HREF>
> 		The best source at this moment
> 	</A>
> With an application convention saying that multiple HREFs are tried in
> order.

Yes, I thought about this being slightly more useful, but I hesitated
to post it because I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly)
that attributes can be processed without regard to their order
within the element.  If that is not necessarily the case, then I
agree that this is the way it should be done.