Re: Proposal: New Anchor attributes

Scott E. Preece (preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com)
Fri, 24 May 1996 08:44:47 -0500

Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 08:44:47 -0500
From: preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com (Scott E. Preece)
To: craigt@ether.phx.mcd.mot.com
Cc: ronnie@driver-aces.com, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Proposal: New Anchor attributes

 From: Craig Tinsley <craigt@ether.phx.mcd.mot.com>

| Ron Schnell wrote:
| > I would like to propose two new attributes for the Anchor element.
| > 1.  ALT=[URL]
| > This attribute would specify an alternate URL should the HREF be
| > unavailable.
|
| Though I believe the idea as a whole is a good one, I don't know whether I
| would confuse HTML authors by offering another definition for ALT. It may be
| less confusing to use something such as HREFALT (you notice that I state that
| as though a typing *longer* tag name is more desireable than typing a shorter
| one... ;-) ).
---

There's no reason to assume that one alternate will be sufficient; you
really should allow for a list of HREFs.  Since attribute syntax would
make it difficult to convey a list of URLs in the value of the HREF
attribute, it might be easiest to put the HREF into a sub-element of
A (or any other element where alternatives should be provided:

	<A>
		<HREF TIMEOUT=10>http://www.abc.com</HREF>
		<HREF>http://www.xyz.com</HREF>
		The best source at this moment
	</A>

With an application convention saying that multiple HREFs are tried in
order.

scott

--
scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550