Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

Fisher Mark (
Tue, 14 May 96 06:58:00 PDT

From: Fisher Mark <>
To: Dave Carter <>
Cc: "'MegaZone'" <>, www-html <>
Subject: Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)
Date: Tue, 14 May 96 06:58:00 PDT

>Can someone enlighten me as to exactly why the current <math> draft, and
>the arena implementation thereof, was deemed to be not good enough?? Is
>this just another case of vendors (in this case Mathematica and Maple)
>trying to rewrite a spec to fit in with their products? Why can't we
>just add more symbols to the current spec??

From what I understand, the current <MATH> spec is heavy on the
presentational aspects but a lightweight in the structural aspects.
 Automatic processing of <MATH> parts apparently requires better structural
support than the HTML 3.0 <MATH> contains.

If anyone from the Mathematica and Maple vendors cares to speak up about
this, please do so.  IANAMW (I am not a Math Wizard).
Mark Leighton Fisher                   Thomson Consumer Electronics                   Indianapolis, IN