Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

Fisher Mark (FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com)
Tue, 14 May 96 06:37:00 PDT

From: Fisher Mark <FisherM@is3.indy.tce.com>
To: www-html <www-html@www10.w3.org>
Subject: Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)
Date: Tue, 14 May 96 06:37:00 PDT

Benjamin C. W. Sittler writes in
<Pine.SUN.3.91.960511140515.20396A-100000@rust>:
>I think maybe it's time for some other group to control the
>standardization of HTML for serious use.

<flameproof (flamebait?)>
I really wish we all would stop using "serious" as an alias for
"scientific/technical/academic".  There are plenty of webmasters both out on
the Internet and within Intranets who are using the Web and HTML for serious
uses that are not scientific/technical/academic uses.  These people are not
just playing around; if the trade publications are to be believed, at least
some companies are investing heavily in serious Web/HTML applications that
are not entertainment applications _and_ are not
scientific/technical/academic applications.

Let's not justify our existences by pretending that the rest of the world is
just playing games, while we are the only people doing "serious" work.
</flameproof>

My background on this issue is that I maintain 3 Web internally (a CAD tools
web, my Corporate Technical Memory electronic reference document repository,
and our ISO 9001 web).  I have also rendered assistance to the people
working on TCE's Internet Web presence at <URL:http://www.nipper.com/>.  All
of these are "serious" endeavors.
Mark Leighton Fisher                   Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@indy.tce.com                   Indianapolis, IN