Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

Fisher Mark (
Tue, 14 May 96 06:37:00 PDT

From: Fisher Mark <>
To: www-html <>
Subject: Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)
Date: Tue, 14 May 96 06:37:00 PDT

Benjamin C. W. Sittler writes in
>I think maybe it's time for some other group to control the
>standardization of HTML for serious use.

<flameproof (flamebait?)>
I really wish we all would stop using "serious" as an alias for
"scientific/technical/academic".  There are plenty of webmasters both out on
the Internet and within Intranets who are using the Web and HTML for serious
uses that are not scientific/technical/academic uses.  These people are not
just playing around; if the trade publications are to be believed, at least
some companies are investing heavily in serious Web/HTML applications that
are not entertainment applications _and_ are not
scientific/technical/academic applications.

Let's not justify our existences by pretending that the rest of the world is
just playing games, while we are the only people doing "serious" work.

My background on this issue is that I maintain 3 Web internally (a CAD tools
web, my Corporate Technical Memory electronic reference document repository,
and our ISO 9001 web).  I have also rendered assistance to the people
working on TCE's Internet Web presence at <URL:>.  All
of these are "serious" endeavors.
Mark Leighton Fisher                   Thomson Consumer Electronics                   Indianapolis, IN