Re: Frames - does anyone like them?

John Bro, InterSoft Solutions, Inc (iss@FinanceHub.com)
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 14:02:54 -0400

From: "John Bro, InterSoft Solutions, Inc" <iss@FinanceHub.com>
To: Sunil Mishra <smishra@cc.gatech.edu>, www-html@w3.org
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 14:02:54 -0400
Subject: Re: Frames - does anyone like them?

> \\ I disagree  in that navigation is actually more difficult to a
> user. I \\ agree on your later statement that they're not usually
> "well-implemented". \\ Navigation can be confusing and bewildering

This discussion of "well-implemented" frames has pulled me out of
lurkerdom to ask what you think of our use of them.

http://www.FinanceHub.com/  is implemented with one 3-frames version
of the homepage, such that all pages internal to the FinanceHub
display in the main window, and all links out have target="_top".

The left column frame is the ToC of the entire site (with a prominent
"Quit Frames" option) and internal links that stay in the ToC frame.
The bottom horizonal frame has a button bar to the main sections (a
bit redundant since every page footer has a button bar, but the
framed one stays put. I am having trouble positioning the darn bar
in the frame, tho).

About half of the unique visitors to the homepage (= about 1/4 of
the unique visitors to the site) load the frames version, and an ave.
of less than 10% meet with "your browser doesn't support frames - try
this one instead"  (browsers are selectively  redirected to
frames/non-frames versions).

I've had one complaint and quite a few compliments so far, but I'd
like to know what the www-html'ers think of this way of implementing
frames. I know I like getting around the site with these frames, but
of course, I already know it too well already.  Your private or
public comments are welcome.

thanks,
John