Re: Frames - does anyone like them?

At 2:02p -0400 08/21/96, John Bro, InterSoft Solutions, Inc wrote:

>http://www.FinanceHub.com/  is implemented with one 3-frames version
>of the homepage, such that all pages internal to the FinanceHub
>display in the main window, and all links out have target="_top".

>I've had one complaint and quite a few compliments so far, but I'd
>like to know what the www-html'ers think of this way of implementing
>frames. I know I like getting around the site with these frames, but
>of course, I already know it too well already.  Your private or
>public comments are welcome.

Well, okay...

Nice idea, but it doesn't fit unless I make the window much larger.
50% of the left pane is cut off, 2/3 of the bottom pane is cut off.

This is not good. If you can't fit it in 470 pixel width, it ain't
worth lookin' at. I have an 832-pixel wide screen, but I have better
things to do with my screen real estate! Anyone who thinks their page
is more important than my desktop, is too arrogant and therefore not
worth my time. Don't force me to resize my browser window, or I leave.

I see Pointcom picked it as one of their 5%. Well, in my surfings,
99% of Pointcom's picks are awful, and if they picked mine, I would
tell them to get lost. Their own site is HORRIBLE. They are clueless!
(Other horrible sites: microsoft.com and iguide.com)

As for F.E.Potts' site, that was much better -- everything was visible
in every frame. There was some scrolling for his(?) top and bottom frames,
but only incidental information was below -- all the main info and buttons
were fully visible upon initial display. Very good. :)