Re: W3C and Handle technology

Philipp Hoschka (
21 Aug 1996 18:45:32 GMT

From: (Philipp Hoschka )
Subject: Re: W3C and Handle technology
Date: 21 Aug 1996 18:45:32 GMT

In article <>, ("Daniel W. Connolly") writes:

|> Another question is "how do you express a link from some region of
|> time-space in an MPEG to someplace else in the web?"
|> There isn't any standardized mechanism to do that, but I can think
|> of some options, among them:
|> 	<resource
|> 		 href=";x=12;y=20">
|> 		<!-- ^^^ source of link ^^^ -->
|> 	  <link href=""> <!-- <- destination of link
|> 	</resource>
|> 	--part
|> i.e. an associated HTML document that describes the link. I'm sure
|> there are more straightforward ways to represent links than
|> HTML <resource> elements, but they do suffice.

This is ok if the MPEG (or more generally video) file is small enough that
it can be downloaded in reasonable time given a certain network capacity. In
the case of streaming video, there may be two other options:
- download the associated HTML document (or "link file") seperately before
streaming starts.
- open another stream for transmitting link information - this avoids
latency of downloading a big link file before the streaming can start.
Also, it facilitates "tuning into" a running, multicasted transmission.

Moreover, you also need to be able to express movement between frames,
e.g. a link associated with a plane moving from left to right through
the video screen.

Btw, anyone who knows of public domain code for these sort of things,
please get in touch with me.

-Philipp Hoschka

   Philipp Hoschka
				|   INRIA - WWW Consortium      |   2004, Route des Lucioles, BP 93
   Tel:(+33) 93 65 79 84        |   06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex
   Fax:(+33) 93 65 77 65        |   France