Re: WOFF and extended metadata

Vlad,

Might I suggest that you and the other proposers point to existing successful metadata schemes that are similar to each of the three techniques you describe? My scheme, which you omit, is used (unnested) all over OpenStreetMap, and an apparently similar but nested scheme, Matro$(D+^(Bka [1], thanks to its adoption by Google in the forthcoming VP8 codec, looks like it's on the verge of heavy usage in the field of video tagging, including multi-lingual subtitles and credits of the type Tal has already defined in WOFF.

Nesting capability seems to be lacking in the three schemes below. Do you seriously believe this is not a significant requirement for metadata?

Your list also seems to be lacking a means by which any metadata schemes initiated by one party might be adopted as a standard. (Let's imagine a scenario where the current WOFF metadata had not yet been placed in any fonts - how would a 'credit' metadata scheme be adopted as normative by W3C?)

I propose that our metadata scheme must be capable of elegantly representing anything representable as JSON - that is: numbers, strings, arrays and dictionaries (aka key-value pairs), to arbitrary levels of nesting. In addition, because these structures will, in general, be sparse in terms of human language coverage, the language tagging should be as close to the data as possible. Whether that is with a lang attribute or a colon syntax is of minor concern.

Proposed use cases: tagging the Font Aid "Coming Together" font[2]

1. Give each glyph a designer credit
2. Record the name of the receiving charity and the reason for the appeal

- L

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska http://www.matroska.org/
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/tagging/index.html
[2] http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/fontaid/coming-together/