Re: Access Keys

From: Jon Gibbins (dotjay) <dotjay@nov5th.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 13:53:54 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Tina Holmboe wrote:

 >   We do - though we keep to the "standard" set as defined by the UK
 >   Government. See also http://www.greytower.co.uk/help/

Personally, I avoid using accesskeys at all if I can. If I do use them,
it's for providing access to a small number of pages/site sections and I
use numbers.

Alas, the UK e-Government guidelines suggest the use of S for an
accesskey. S is often used for jumping to a search input field or for
skip navigation (the latter of which is suggested by the government
guidelines). I don't use accesskeys in my day-to-day browsing, but I do
use a lot of keyboard shortcuts. Alt+S in Firefox is one of them - I
actually have to use the Greasemonkey extension to override sites using
certain accesskeys!

In a nutshell, I think the idea of accesskeys is a good one, but with
current implementation they do more harm than good.

Jon