RE: Access Keys

From: Jamal Mazrui <Jamal.Mazrui@fcc.gov>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:44:20 -0400
To: "Alastair Campbell" <ac@nomensa.com>, "Dean Dyer" <ddyer@mail.sunyjefferson.edu>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

I agree--access keys are a well meaning idea that has not worked in
practice.  The JAWS screen reader, for example, does not work reliably
with access keys on a web page even though it claims to support them.
More importantly, since there is no common convention for such keys, it
seems hardly worth memorizing them for a particular web site, only to
learn of a different set on another site.

Regards,
Jamal