Frames and accessibility: opinions please

From: Jim Byrne <j.byrne@gcal.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:27:20 +0100
To: W3c_Access <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

I am some accessibility advice to an organisation designing a Website aimed
at people with learning difficulties and those supporting people with
learning difficulties. The designers want to build the site based on using
Frames for navigation - quoting the W3c guidelines saying that they can be
made accessible. For all the reasons I have listed on my site (see
http://www.mcu.org.uk) I don't think this is a good idea - but I am keen to
hear what people on this list think of frames and accessibility.

If your were building a Website from scratch, that had to be accessible -
would you use frames? If not why not?

Jim Byrne Project Director, The Making Connections Unit, Glasgow Caledonian
University, Glasgow G4 OBA, 0141 331 3893

Everything you need to know about publishing accessible information on the

Services: Website Accessibility Audits, Accessible Web design, Accessible
Website Management Training.

The Making Connections Unit: http://www.mcu.org.uk/
Scottish Disability Information Mailing list: