Re: Frames and accessibility: opinions please

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:37:48 -0500
To: Access Systems <accessys@smart.net>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

> ...  but I mention the Linux to
>illustrate that any solutions MUST be OS neutral and not depend on
>proprietary software that is not provided free.

I don't understand what free has to do meeting the 508 or W3C standards.  I
also don't understand why something must be OS neutral to meet a standard.
I do understand that free (cost), OS neutral, availability in national
languages, AT support, etc. were considerations when crafting the standards
because they gave a sense of reality and implementation status. Can you
point to where free or OS neutral is part of either standard?

By the way, since LYNX supports FRAMES, if authors put usable titles on
them, would that end the debate about frames?

Also is LYNX supported JavaScript, would that end the debate about
JavaScript?

Regards,
Phill