How do I use CSS to fake a button?

From: Bruce Bailey <bbailey@clark.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 17:20:55 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
This is related to my earlier kiosk question.

Is there a way to use CSS to make hypertext look like a button?  I know how to change the
appearances of links, but my experimentation has not gotten me anything that comes close to
approximating a "raised three dimensional" look that users have come to expect of graphical
image buttons.

Yes, there is nothing wrong with underlined text for links.  But this is going to be used on a
touch screen.  I am trying to do it using HTML 4.01 strict -- so that the usual looking web
pages can be generated just by changing the style sheet.  Thank you!