Re: Jobs in Web Accessibility

From: Thomas Dowling <tdowling@ohiolink.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:09:24 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> More to the point, are there still jobs out there for people who don't
kow
> anything about accessible web design? (I guess there are, but it seems
like a
> bad idea to me - kind of like an architect who doesn't know how to put
doors
> into a building, and doesn't really think they're that important...)
>
> There are a couple of places where people try to track
accessibility-aware
> web designers, but I don't have a URI off the top of my head.

I've participated in a couple of recent candidate interviews for positions
that involve web design.  None of the candidates has shown an awareness of
accessibility as an issue to be addressed, let alone how to go about it.
This is in higher education, with candidates mostly just out of school;
should I hope the private sector is doing things better?

Thomas Dowling
tdowling@ohiolink.edu