Re: Jobs in Web Accessibility

I hope the private sector is doing better. But I am not sure if they are. I
realise that there are not too many webmasters out there who understand
accessibility, but there is some call for them. I know in Australia that it
is now a feature in some fairly big contracts, although by no means all of
them.

Charles McCN

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Thomas Dowling wrote:

  > More to the point, are there still jobs out there for people who don't
  kow
  > anything about accessible web design? (I guess there are, but it seems
  like a
  > bad idea to me - kind of like an architect who doesn't know how to put
  doors
  > into a building, and doesn't really think they're that important...)
  >
  > There are a couple of places where people try to track
  accessibility-aware
  > web designers, but I don't have a URI off the top of my head.

  I've participated in a couple of recent candidate interviews for positions
  that involve web design.  None of the candidates has shown an awareness of
  accessibility as an issue to be addressed, let alone how to go about it.
  This is in higher education, with candidates mostly just out of school;
  should I hope the private sector is doing things better?

  Thomas Dowling
  tdowling@ohiolink.edu

21 Mitchell Street, Footscray, VIC 3011,  Australia