RE: Re : Influence of valid code on screen readers

From: Yvette Hoitink <y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:17:54 +0200
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

> > Matt May:
> > If tag soup meets the functional requirements of
> > accessibility that we set out, then we have no reason not to
> > declare that it's accessible.
>
> Roberto Castaldo:
> I think that we should avoid to give tag soup any kind of
> dignity, as it simply is the absence of rules in developing
> web pages. From Wikipedia: "Tag soup is HTML code, written
> without regard for the rules of HTML structure and semantic
> meaning"; that should be enough for any W3C recommendation to
> not allow this superficial way of approaching web development.

Roberto, tag soup is still not allowed at level 1. We DO require authors to
use structure (see 1.3).

I feel the biggest accessibility problems caused by invalid documents are
still covered by our guidelines at level 1 because we require seperating
structure from presentation (1.3) and well-formedness (4.1).

Yvette Hoitink
Heritas, Enschede, the Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl
WWW: http://www.heritas.nl