RE: Proposal for Guideline 1.1 [definition of text]

Hi Gregg and all,

At 17:02 24/05/2005, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
If I remember right - the reason for referencing unicode is that it is not
only important that the text be in characters but that they be in a form
that can be machine readable by standard (not proprietary) machines/
software.

Unicode was the standard code - so it was cited.

Your definition does not disallow proprietary text code. Can you think of a
way other than citing Unicode to make sure that the characters are encoded
in - well - Unicode?

No, I cannot think of any other way than citing Unicode (or ISO/IEC 10646).
The loophole for proprietary text code which you claim to see in my
definition is probably rather theoretical. Text that uses a proprietary
encoding or a proprietary character set cannot be read by anyone
(regardless of disability) except the producer of the text. Such text
would only be put on public web sites by accident because it is quite
useless to anyone outside the organisation.
If we really must require that text only consists of characters that
are defined in the Unicode standard, it is important to maintain the
reference to the "Unicode / ISO/IEC 106464 repertoire" in the definition
(as Wendy's proposal does) because of a loophole in Unicode.
Unless I misunderstand the Unicode specification, it is not possible to
disallow "proprietary text code" by requiring "Unicode", because Unicode
defines "private use areas" where Unicode implementations may put
whatever characters they want:
"Private-use code points are considered to be assigned characters, but the
abstract characters associated with them have no interpretation specified
by this standard. They can be given any interpretation by conformant
processes." [4]
"Private-use characters are assigned Unicode code points whose interpretation
is not specified by this standard and whose use may be determined by private
agreement among cooperating users. These characters are designated for
private use and do not have defined, interpretable semantics except by
private agreement.
(...)
All code points in the blocks of private-use characters in the Unicode Standard
are permanently designated for private use — no assignment to a particular,
standard set of characters will ever be endorsed or documented by the
Unicode Consortium for any of these code points." [5]
Private use areas are meant to be used in closed systems only, so the
"Unicode repertoire" is important if we want to keep the reference to Unicode.

Whatever we decide regarding Unicode, I would still avoid the reference
to XML 1.1.

Are we trying to allow things to be encoded in something other than Unicode?
(i.e. were the crafters of this SC missing something?)

The discussion was about the *set of characters* (not to be confused with
"encoding") that can be used in *text* (not markup).
Unicode defines both a "character repertoire" or character set (to which new
characters are added with each new version) and a number of "encoding forms"
(UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32, which don't change when new characters are added to
the repertoire).

Regards,

Christophe

[4] The Unicode Standard, Version 4: chapter 3: "Conformance".
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.0.0/ch03.pdf.
[5] The Unicode Standard, Version 4: chapter 15: "Special Areas and Format
Characters" (§15.7: Private Use Characters).
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode4.0.0/ch15.pdf.

--
Christophe Strobbe
K.U.Leuven - Departement of Electrical Engineering - Research Group