RE: A question on bypassing a group of links - IE work around

From: <Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:35:04 -0400
To: "Web Content Guidelines" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: "Jim Thatcher" <jtcom@jimthatcher.com>
Jim Thatcher: <quote>
The most common skip link technique is providing a link to an empty named
/>. That technique does NOT work in IE6 with the keyboard as one of the
first skip links at http://wwww.acb.org illustrates. (Remember to tab one
more time after executing the skip link.) However I have come up with a
counter example to that statement. http://westciv.com has a visible skip
link at the top of the page. The target is an empty anchor. It works from
the keyboard. To make matters worse, when I saved westciv.com locally
without their style sheet, the skip link did not work with the keyboard -
which I would predict. When I downloaded the style sheet and attached it -
the skip link did work - which baffles me. This is a mystery to me and if
anyone can figure it out - I would love to here.

I previously responded to this post with some observations about the
westciv example that Jim references above. See
Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com: "RE: A question on bypassing a group of
links"  for the gory details.   I now have a better explanation:
It seems if you add an element  with a width style around the named anchor
tag it will work correctly in IE.  The attached example that I modified
from one on Jim Thatcher's site (http://jimthatcher.com/skipnav1.htm) WILL
work in IE 6.  The key is to wrap the named anchor in an element that has
a width specified.  I used a span but a div also works. In the attached
file the skip link is:  <A href="#content1">Skip to named  anchor</A>
The named anchor  that works correctly is: <span style="width:500px;"><A
name="content1"></A>Target of the first skip link is immediately before
this text.</span>

If I remove the style="width:500px" from the span, the IE bug raises its
ugly head.  With the style="width:500px" on the span, the skip nav works
properly - go figure!

The skip link in the attached file was tested and works correctly in IE 6,
Mozilla 1.6, JAWS 4.51, Window Eyes 4.5 sp3, and HPR 3.04 (beta).

Becky Gibson
Web Accessibility Architect
IBM Emerging Internet Technologies
5 Technology Park Drive