RE: A question on bypassing a group of links - IE work around

From: Jim Thatcher <jtcom@jimthatcher.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:21:27 -0500
To: <Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>, "'Web Content Guidelines'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: "'James Craig'" <wai-wg@cookiecrook.com>

Brilliant! I had noticed the use of a div with id="content" that James
pointed out, and downloaded http://westciv.com specifically to change that
id that thinking that it had something to do with the fact that their skip
link worked from the keyboard. It was then that I discovered and was baffled
by the fact that the skip link worked with the style sheet invoked and not
without it. Now both mysteries are solved - Mozilla's strange handling of
westciv.com (which James pointed out is not strange at all, but correct) and
why the behavior is different with and without the style sheet.

I was just writing the phrase, "fixed width" that you suggested and I
decided to try not fixed, but some default "width" - remember one repair is
to put the anchor in a table cell which by default has width associated with
it. So I tried <span style="width:100%"><A name="content1"></A></span> and
that works too. That may be using markup NOT as intended, but it is much
less of a hack than creating a table just to hold the anchor (as at
http://webaim.org <http://webaim.org/> ).

So there is now a new technique to overcome IE's bug for in-page links: make
sure the bookmark anchor is contained in some element with width specified.
Does anyone have any idea why that would make input focus for in-page
(bookmark) links work correctly in IE?