level A and double A RE: rationalize presentation

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 05:29:35 -0500 (EST)
To: Geoff Deering <gdeering@acslink.net.au>
cc: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Here is a statement of personal opinion: you should be aiming for at least
double-A conformance to WCAG, as the lowest level to provide something
aproaching equal access for everyone. (I realise it isn't a perfect
statement, because the guidelines are not perfect. But for a defined target
it is as close as I can get in one sentence).

Yes, I agree that it is possible to take what is, from an accessibility point
of view, a fairly poorly designed site, and get it to level A cnformance. It
is much harder to do that for double-A conformance (in the general case -
there are always exceptions and with millions of pages on the web I expect
there are a lot of exceptions).

In general I think you have correctly understood what is going on. There is a
lack of detail available from teh techniques documents in some areas, and it
would be helpful to have a lot more specific examples of what does or does
not meet a checkpoint and why - working group consensus on annotations to a
Test Suite would be a good start. I feel that this  is a real problem
inhibiting implementation (as opposed to adoption in policy) of the
guidelines, and one that we as a working group should be resolving.

Chaals