RE: flicker

From: Paul Bohman <paulb@cpd2.usu.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:42:32 -0600
To: "'Wendy A Chisholm'" <wendy@w3.org>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>

I agree that flicker is a user agent issue, but not exclusively.

For example, let's say that you have a media player that can slow down
everything, and I mean *everything*. Using this media player, you have
absolute control over everything that could ever cause a flicker. Even
if this is the case, chances are that you won't watch all of your videos
at 1 frame every other second. It's true that you won't have a seizure
at that rate, but in real life you're going to view them first in their
default mode, most likely. At the very least, I'd say that it is the
author's responsibility to either 1. mark up the content with a tag or
metadata that in essence says "this content flickers" or 2. provide an
overt textual reference to the fact (not in markup).

Paul Bohman
Technology Coordinator
WebAIM (Web Accessibility in Mind)
Center for Persons with Disabilities