semantics in style

From: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:27:17 -0400
To: love26@gorge.net
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
William,

At the 23 August 2001 telecon [1] we discussed issue #4 [2] which you
raised a while ago.  The issue is as follows:
4. Semantics in style
Issue
8 August 2000 - William Loughborough. If I use style to convey semantics,
how do I pass along the semantics to someone who does not use style sheets?
The class name is not something that gets shown to the user. There must be
some way to convey intended semantics presented via presentation mode.

The working group thinks this is closed as it is covered by checkpoint 1.3
(use structure), 1.5 (separate content and structure) and CSS
techniques.  Do you agree that this issue is closed?  Could you help
reframe the question so that we can attempt to address it?

Thanks,
--wendy

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/2001/08/23-minutes.html#4
[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/wcag20-issues.html#4