RE: Cognition Simulation

From: Paul Bohman <paulb@cpd2.usu.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:09:30 -0600
To: "WAI GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
>Having a checkpoint about adding illustrations makes little sense to me
unless there is also a checkpoint saying that we should make illustrations
(and other "text equivalent content") clear and simple. Why is it only text
that needs to be clear and simple?

This is an excellent point. Now we enter into another quagmire: how to
determine if an illustration is clear and simple.

Potential barriers to clarity and simplicity include:

cultural bias
age-inappropriateness
poor composition
too many visual distractions
poor contrast
poor artistic abilities
and many more, of course.

Still, the issue is important (and has been brought up before): the quality
of the alternative/equivalent needs to be high enough so that it can be as
close to a true alternative/equivalent as possible.

Paul Bohman
Technology Coordinator
WebAIM (Web Accessibility in Mind)
www.webaim.org