Re: Eating one's own dog food

Chaals,

         There is a lot of clip art on the web that is free if you are
using it for educational rather than commercial purposes. I'm not sure it
we'd fit under this or not. I think the Guidelines has an educational
purpose, so perhaps we could use it. Unfortunately, I don't think we would
find anything as specifically tailored to what we need to illustrate in
clip art that would be as effective as what you created.

         Some possibilities to help emphasize the right way: draw a red box
around the wrong way and put a red diagonal bar across as the international
symbol of don't .... or make the "wrong way" picture smaller than the right
way.

         In any event, the illustration is wonderful, and far more creative
than I what I tried to do in the spring.

                                                 Anne

At 06:18 AM 8/23/01 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Yes, it  was put forward aws a reason why the checkpoint was impossible. So I
>went to a little bit of effort to actually demonstrate that it could be done,
>and generated some non-text content to go with it. I updated the exmaple page
>a bit to incude how the checkpoint might appear:
>
>http://www.w3.org/2001/08/mmcmn/
>
>I would like to do something better with the image, so it is clear that the
>unillustrated version is not being recommended. But for that matter I would
>like  to have a better image or two. The one there is what I came up with in
>about an hour (which after all is a lot less time than I have put into the
>text of the checkpoint, and as my original note pointed out I could have used
>existing clip art if I had the appropriate software licenses, which many
>people do).
>
>Chaals
>
>On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, William Loughborough wrote:
>
>   Does anyone else find it bizarre that
>
>   "Checkpoint 3.4: Supplement text with non-text content" is not
>   "supplemented with non-text content" although "Checkpoint
>   3.5 Annotate complex, abbreviated, or unfamiliar information with summaries
>   and definitions" is annotated with definitions?
>[snip]
>   "Do as we have done, not just as we say" should
>   rule. IMO.

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem