Re: Guideline 1 examples

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 18:35:37 -0700
To: "Charles F. Munat" <chas@munat.com>, "WAI Guidelines WG" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
At 3:21 PM -0700 2001/8/18, Charles F. Munat wrote:
>I suggest that we remove the lines at the start of Guideline 1 that read:
>"Have you ever adjusted the height of a chair because it was too low or too
>high? Have you ever adjusted the volume on a stereo? Have you ever used a
>magnifying glass to read small print?"
>[...]
>These may not be the best examples, but I hope that I've captured the
>essence of what I'm trying to say.

Yes, you are correct.  I agree with you that the overly "chatty" tone
is not appropriate to this document (and what's more, could lead to a
greater change of this technical document being rejected by the W3C
membership).

I propose the following:  The creation of one or more "The ____'s
Guide to WCAG 2.0", where ____ is a noun such as "web developer",
"graphic artist", "policymaker", "young person", and so on.

I even volunteer to edit one or more of these annotated supporting
documents.

(This does not mean that our documents shouldn't be CLEAR and
SIMPLE -- Chaz and I both agree with that.  There is a difference
between "simple" and "chatty tone".)

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>