Illustrating example (was Re: New draft - 14 August 2001)

From: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:31:43 -0400
To: Anne Pemberton <apembert@erols.com>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

>         The draft is looking good! It's almost enjoyable reading! <grin> ...

I'm glad you see the draft improving.  I certainly can't take all the
credit.  Gregg and Jason worked very hard on this draft, and that work
tries to reflect the discussions and work of the working group.

>         Have a lot of new examples been added, or did I not notice them
> before? The ones that are new to me are well written, and could be easily
> illustrated with a link to an appropriate page/site.

yes, we have been adding new examples in the last few drafts.  I agree,
they should be illustrated.

>         As an example of illustrating a site, you may want to look at my
> recently finished(?) for the kids to learn about the various Famous
> Americans in their curriculum.
> http://www.geocities.com/apembert45/FamAmer/  The index page for the site
> contains pictures for each of the persons to be studied at each grade
> level. Clicking on the picture leads to a specific page for that person,
> which includes one or more pictures, some basic facts about the person,
> and links to more information, more pictures, and whatever else I could
> find on that person that seemed useful either to the children themselves,
> or to the teachers. For each person I have a printable page of small
> pictures that can be printed, cut out, and given to the children to use
> with written work, games, etc. For some (but not all), I have a large
> picture that the teacher can print out and display in the room, or
> install as wallpaper during the unit.

Yes, this could be an interesting example to point people to.  We'll have
to discuss it.

>         If you want to use this site as an example of illustrating
> content, let me know what I have to do to make it "accessible" if it
> isn't now (need to check a few pages for all tags, but everything else
> should be OK.) so it can be used. The site isn't eligible for a Bobby
> certification because it's on Yahoo!

What do you mean by "not eligible for a Bobby certification because it's on
Yahoo?"  I was able to run a page through bobby:

It found a few issues.  You would have to run them page by page since you
can't run the downloadable against the site, but it's not impossible.

wendy a chisholm
world wide web consortium
web accessibility initiative
seattle, wa usa