Re: Illustrating example (was Re: New draft - 14 August 2001)

Wendy,

         Joel Sanda and I discussed Bobby and Yahoo! sites offlist last
week and came to the "conclusion" that a page on Yahoo! couldn't be
"accessible" because of the banner ad script that attaches to each page
when you upload it to the site. When editing a Yahoo! page, you have to
manually take the script out if working from the download, or you will
begin to multiply the banner ads on the page ... It is possible that we
arrived at a false conclusion <grin> ... I'd like to have as much of the
site "accessible" beyond useful for my kids, but I seem to run into the
most problems using a table to hold a graphic and one or more links that
the graphic illustrates (e.g. http://www.geocities.com/apembert45/History )
. If I remember correctly Bobby can't live with both a graphic and text in
a table cell... Last time I tried to test these pages in Bobby was back
around Christmas when I was just starting to use this format.

         Thought it was interesting you chose to test Helen Keller. I hope
I had the alt tags in place, since I finished that page late at night.
Helen Keller is one of the new additions to Virginia's SOLs this year, and
I'm looking forward to talking about her to the kids. In the past two
years, in talking about what you can do with computers, I usually tell the
kids, to their astonishing awe! that blind people use computers as well as
they do ... It'll be nice to tie that to Helen Keller even tho she,
herself, never got to experience the Internet or speech readers. And, as I
said before, it ticked my pants purple to see that the AFB shared their
marvelous collection of photos of Helen, so that if we get bored looking at
the pictures I have on the page now, I can change them quite a few times
before running out of stuff.

         Oh, and a suggestion on writing examples. It may be well to choose
examples which you know you have a site you can use to illustrate the
concept with ....  I realize that shouldn't be a consideration, but if you
put it into the pot of considerations as you write the examples, you may
save re-write time later.

                                         Anne

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com