3.4 illustration page RE: NEW DRAFT - 31 July 2001

The amaya alternative version of the page:

Some things to play with

Status of this document
This is a rough playing space for my ideas on illustrating concepts, as a way
of understanding how to provide better information about it in the Web
Content Accessibiltiy Guidelines. Feedback should be sent to the WCAG working
group's mailing list.  Please look at the archives for relevant threads.

This page was last updated at $Date: 2001/08/01 23:16:08 $ and Charles
McCathieNevile produced it and may or may not have time to maintain it.

Some illustrations for WCAG 2.0 draft of 31 July 2001, checkpoint 3.4
Note that if you are using Internet Explorer it seems not to support HTML 4
(according to user feedback), so I am still working on ways to make this page
work properly for browsers that do and work better for that browser.

There are two multimedia illustrations of the proposed checkpoint 3.4 in the
31 July draft of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. One is an image:

[CMN bug note - it should have provided the alt text for the img element here
- "the image being described:" (end bug note)]

  http://www.w3.org/2001/08/mmcmn/34.png

  This is a cartoon. On the left is a person looking in confusion at a poster
  of text. On the right the text has had images added to explain it, and "the
  light has dawned" - the person now understands the poster.

The other is a sound file:

  Sound file: http://www.w3.org/2001/08/mmcmn/34sound.aif consists of the
  following text:

  3.4 Supplement text with non-text contentSome people can't
  read writing easily, so add images, sounds, movies and so on to help them
  understand your message

Comments on these are welcome - please add them to the
existing thread on these illustrations. I intend to update them, at the very
least to include metadata pointing to the different alternative forms. But I
don't know when.

(end page quote. Seems that your browser doesn't understand HTML 4, which
doesn't seem like a good advertisement for it. But if it doesn't handle the
plugin, that's a different problem. In any event, you should either get the
objects rendered or you should get a link to the object. Otherwise there is
a big bad bug in how your browser works, and I am not sure what the
workaround is.)

Cheers

Charles