RE: RE Checkpoint 3.4 again

Anne -

Any method of representing one thing with another is a symbolic system of
expression. But that means pure text is symbolic, as well - as is all
language. The fear many of have, though, is that we're enforcing methods of
expression onto developers and content authors.

So we are talking about a symbolic system since we're using (or in the case
of 3.4 insisting) folks uses additional symbols to express ideas, concepts,
processes, and relationships. (insert your text for the checkpoint here).

But I really think we have to say *IF* you are going to provide alternative
symbols for the presentation of ideas, concepts, processes, and
relationships, then follow these guidelines.

By way of example I'd suggest your GeoCities Holiday's page at:
http://www.geocities.com/apembert45/holidays/. That's an incredibly rich
*SYMBOLIC* representation of ideas, contained in text and images. With a
little JavaScript and the right sound files a mouseOver could produce
meaningful sound *symbolice* representations of the ideas.

But requiring this of developers and content authors makes the WCAG 2.0
*in*accessible to many. I don't feat excess - I fear folks pointint the
guidelines and using 3.4 as a good business (resource) reason to not make
the effort at implementing 3.4.

Joel Sanda
Product Manager
eCollege