Re: RE Checkpoint 3.4 again

At 12:52 PM -0400 2001/7/31, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>Kynn and Gregory,
>
>         Take a step back from the mathematical concept of "equal",
>and take a gander at the social science concept of "equal" .... More
>Equal and Less Equal have no mathematical meaning, but they have
>precise meanings in social science ... history, philosophy,
>politics, etc. Unlike the meaning of "equal" in math, which is
>either a right or wrong answer (unless we're playing games in other
>bases), in the social sciences "equal" is a very subjective term
>which can and is hotly debated in interesting times and places.
>"Equal" is a perception, as well as an absolute truth.

More web developers understand mathematical equality than social science
equality.  That is why I feel that speaking of "parallels" instead of
"equivalents" will be easier to understand, as well as easier for you
personally to make your points, Anne. ;)

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison