Gutenberg at HWG

At 3:40 PM -0400 2001/7/31, gregory j. rosmaita wrote:
>as for text-heavy versus illustration heavy books, wouldn't it be more
>practical (from both a site maintainer's and a user's point of view) to
>have an "illustrated" view of a text and a non-illustrated view of the
>text?  this is something that could easily be accomplished with the HWG
>(HTML Writers' Guild's) initiative which is converting plain ASCII
>texts from Project Gutenberg's collection into valid, well-formed XML
>applications -- more information about the conversion project is available
>from the HWG's web site: http://www.hwg.org (i tried the HWG search
>engine, but couldn't turn up anything other than brief announcements of
>the project, and the "Get Involved" portion of the HWG site was down when
>i attempted to find a direct URI to information about the project --
>perhaps kynn can help with this)

The HWG's website needs to be put together better, and I don't fault
you for not being able to find the right location.  The Gutenberg at
HWG website is:

      http://gutenberg.hwg.org/

It's not well publicized or linked.  Why is it that I always find myself
saying "watch out for a site i'm associated with"? :)

The HWG Gutenberg books, being in XML format, could pretty easily be
converted to any other XML format using XSLT, by the way, so they can
fit the "digital talking books" format which Gregory describes.  I don't
think anyone has made an XSLT transformation sheet to do that yet, but
it's certainly possible.

--Kynn

PS:  God, don't let them look at Reef's site.

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison