wichita state's usability resources (Re: Aside on Fonts)

From: gregory j. rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 17:54:18 -0400 (EDT)
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
cc: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>, Anne Pemberton <apembert@erols.com>, WAI Cross-group list <wai-xtech@w3.org>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
aloha, y'all!

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
> Has this URL (for a usability study on font readability) been passed
> around yet?
>
> http://psychology.wichita.edu/surl/usabilitynews/3S/font.htm

it is worth noting that the usability news is available in an "easy print"
(or, from the URI, EZprint) version which uses (surprise! surprise!) a
sans-serif font (arial)

it is also worth noting that the EZprint version uses the deprecated,
non-scaling, absolute presentational element FONT, rather than
stylesheets, which would make me think twice about hiring wichita state's
software usability research laboratory to perform a usability analysis on
anything...

and yet, since we are endlessly debating (a) if there really is a
dichotomy/difference between usability and accessibility, and (b) if there
is, where the dividing line can be drawn; i think it worth our collective
while to investigate their "Optimal Web Design" resource, a set of
criteria/guidelines/information/statistics located at:
  <http://psychology.wichita.edu/optimalweb/>
although i found that using the "print" version of the page easier and
quicker going, once it loaded:
  <http://psychology.wichita.edu/optimalweb/print.htm>
so i'd recommend using the second URI, which again, i must say, gives
me pause...

choking down another spoonful of his own dogfood,
gregory.

PS: anne, i have a detailed response to your post (the first, i assume, in
this sub-thread), but it is trapped on my win2k box by one of the 3
instances of outlook that, for some ungodly reason, are attempting to run
simultaneously on my box...  in any event, once i reboot and reconnect, i
should be able to send it out...  i'm also currently processing this
thread in reverse, so apologies if this has already been covered...
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are,
not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of
plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
                        -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net