W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-gl@w3.org > July to September 2001

RE: guideline 7.1 about screen flickering (fwd)

From: Anne Pemberton <apembert@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:31:04 -0400
Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.0.20010725181111.009ec900@pop.erols.com>
To: Jo Miller <jo@bendingline.com>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Jo,

         Thanks for sharing the site. RADAR is the name of the database 
used to collect research into developmental disabilities (known on this 
list as cognitive disabilities). The AAMR stands for the American 
Association of Retarded People which is spelled out on the title graphic 
(should be written out in alt tag but I didn't check it).

         The use of the RADAR symbol as the logo for their database is 
appropriate and consistent with typical logo application. The logo 
describes what it does, not what it is. The site is apparently intended 
primarily to be used by members and potential members of this association 
of professionals and perhaps care givers to retarded persons. Users of the 
site will typically be members who are looking to use the RADAR database, 
either by the logo link, or the text link at the top of the page.

         Yes, the animation load of the opening page is high. On my (new 
and larger screen with higher resolution), there are three animations going 
at the same time. The RADAR logo, the Book Store logo, and the rolling 
information screen going all at once at a bit much ...

         I'm not sure how we can word a guideline that asks the web author 
not to put "too many" animations on a screenful, but perhaps that is needed 
now that users can turn off animations in the popular browsers.

                                                         Anne

At 04:06 PM 7/26/01 -0400, Jo Miller wrote:
>At 15:13 -0400 7/26/01, gregory j. rosmaita wrote:
>>aloha, anne!
>>
>>thanks for playing in my sandbox!  four questions:
>>
>>1. is "RADAR" an acronym?  if so, do you know what it stands for?
>
>
>Hello Greg,
>
>It is an acronym, apparently, but I cannot find its expansion anywhere on 
>the site.
>
>>
>>2. what is "AAMR"?
>
>American Association on Mental Retardation, which is expanded the first 
>time it occurs on the site's main page, but only in a graphic that lacks 
>alt-text.
>
>>
>>3. what is the foreground color/color of the text?  is it green as well?
>>(that seems to be the motif)
>>
>>4. is the font used a serif or sans-serif font?
>
>
>The text is red, bold, capitalized, serif font.
>
>>
>>i suppose that no one who approaches the graphic with a tabula rasa would
>>know the answers to the first 2 questions, which indicates to me that this
>>particular graphic isn't a very successful conduit of information...
>
>In fact I would go so far as to call it misleading. Because their 
>specialized use of the acronym RADAR is not expanded or explained, and 
>because the graphic represents the clockwise circular sweep of a radar 
>(radio detecting and ranging) display, users might naturally assume that 
>the link will take them to some page dealing with "radar" in its generic, 
>literal sense.
>
>
>>
>>oh, one more question:
>>
>>5. would you follow this link out of the blue?  if so, why?
>
>As a sighted person, I might follow it in hopes of getting off the page 
>with the animations (seriously -- that was not meant as a flippant 
>comment). Otherwise, probably not, so your point is well taken.
>
>
>>
>>On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>>>  What a neat idea! I played in your sandbox, and hope I gave you an
>>>  interesting description. I may not have answered the question of 
>>> whether it
>>  > flickers, but the animation is a smooth movement around the circle, not a
>>  > flicker at all.
>
>The link takes you to a Flash movie that reproduces the "radar-sweep" 
>animation, but the circular movement in the Flash movie is far faster than 
>in the image we've been looking at. I don't know whether this extremely 
>rapid circular sweep would trigger seizures, but perhaps Wendy's resources 
>will provide the answer.
>
>The site in question is aamr.org, by the way.
>
>--
>Jo Miller
>jo@bendingline.com

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.geocities.com/apembert45
Received on Thursday, 26 July 2001 20:30:23 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 7 December 2009 10:47:11 GMT