RE: Datatypes and xml:lang

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:23:05 -0000
To: "Dave Beckett" <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>, "Sergey Melnik" <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
Cc: "RDF core WG" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

> > Dave Beckett wrote:
> > >
> > > Can the TDL / S authors say something about where they see how the
> > > xml:lang attribute will appear in the data type models.

I think there is a choice.

Version 1 (lang-string)
   works for both S and TDL

   wherever we have been talking about a string, we now talk about a
lang-string.
   This is a pair of an optional language tag and a string and has been
explored in depth at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Sep/0341.html

Version 2 (lang-triple)
   IMO works better with TDL, because of tidiness.

   xml:lang goes into the triple structure
   (i.e. we decide M&S got it wrong)

I have a preference for 2 if we can live with the charter issues.
My understanding of Sergey's message:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Feb/0008.html
is that in S, the lang-triple needs to modify a bNode, which at least in
S-B, needs to be autogenerated.

In TDL, I think we could have the literal-node being the subject of the
lang-triple.

Jeremy