Re: Datatyping Summary V4

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 13:56:06 +0200
To: ext Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
CC: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On 2002-02-05 11:47, "ext Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> At 20:33 04/02/2002 +0000, Graham Klyne wrote:
> [...]
>

>> is 10.5.   So the bnodes here must both denote the same value, i.e. 10.5.
>
> That is not my understanding of how TDL model theory *currently* works
> though I think you and Pat may have some tricks to show us.  In the TDL
> model theory proposed by jeremy the nodes denote pairs, not values, and the
> pairs are unequal, even if their value components are equal.
>
> Brian

I personally question the whole need for the literal nodes
to denote anything but literals -- it's the combination
of literal (lexical form) with datatype (context) that
denotes the value.

Must it be that *some* component of the graph individually
denote the value?

Why is it so hard to say that an idiom, which identifies
both literal and datatype, expresses a TDL
pairing (which is not explicit in the graph) and the
TDL pairing denotes the value. Simple, no? Or am I just
missing the whole point of the MT...?

Patrick