Re: Datatypes and xml:lang

>>>Sergey Melnik said:
> Dave Beckett wrote:
> >
> > Can the TDL / S authors say something about where they see how the
> > xml:lang attribute will appear in the data type models.

Maybe I should have been more explicit

M&S says:
  The xml:lang attribute may be used as defined by [XML] to associate
  a language with the property value. There is no specific data model
  representation for xml:lang (i.e., it adds no triples to the data
  model); the language of a literal is considered by RDF to be a part
  of the literal. An application may ignore language tagging of a
  string. All RDF applications must specify whether or not language
  tagging in literals is significant; that is, whether or not
  language is considered when performing string matching or other
  processing.

  -- http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2001Jun/att-0021/00-part#221

and includes an example similar to this (I've updated it, elided some bits)

<?xml version="1.0"?>
         xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
  <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.foo.com/cool.html">
    <dc:title>
     <rdf:Alt>
       <rdf:li xml:lang="en">The Coolest Web Page</rdf:li>
       <rdf:li xml:lang="it">Il Pagio di Web Fuba</rdf:li>
     </rdf:Alt>
   </dc:title>
 </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

The first question is: what triples are generated?
(Ignore rdf:Alt for now!)

If they are different from:

_:a <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#_1> "The Coolest Web Page" .
_:a <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#_2> "Il Pagio di Web Fuba" .
_:a <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type> <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Alt> .
<http://www.foo.com/cool.html> <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/title> _:a .

Then we owe an explanation.

The next question is: how do/can I get the xml:lang value?

Since the above quote says "no specific data model representation for
xml:lang" - the answer could be "you can't" but I'm not very happy
with this.

Dave