Re: scope of parseType [was: Re: Flower Power and Datatyping ~:-)]

>>>Brian McBride said:
> At 11:24 05/02/2002 +0000, Dave Beckett wrote:
> > > That isn't what I expected for parseType="Resource".  Dave, what does the
> > > syntax doc say about that?
>
> My fault Dave, my question wasn't clear.  What triples are generated for:
>
>    <rdf:Description>
>      <ex:foo rdf:parseType="Resource">
>        <ex:foo>
>          <ex:foo></ex:foo>
>        </ex:foo>
>      </...
>    </...
>
> Sergey suggested that:
>
>   [[
>    Right, but not in the case when parseType declaration applies to all
> subordinate XML structure (I think that's the way parseType works right now).
>   ]]

That's not correct; it applies to that property element only.

> If that is true, then the second ex:foo above has an implied
> rdf:parseType="Resource" on it.  This was not my understanding and wanted
> to check I hadn't missed something.

parseType="Resource" allows the skipping from the usual
   node->arc->node->arc->node->... sequence
by creating a blank node for you off a property/arc.

The above example corresponds to
  [outer blank node]->ex:foo arc->[blank node]->ex:foo arc-> ..
where [blank node] was created by the parseType=Resource

The innermost <ex:foo></ex:foo> creates an empty typedNode completing
the sequence:
 ...->[blank node]->rdf:type->ex:foo

and the parseType resource processing isn't passed on

Dave

Full example:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
            xmlns:ex="http://example.org/">
  <rdf:Description>
    <ex:foo rdf:parseType="Resource">
      <ex:foo>
        <ex:foo></ex:foo>
      </ex:foo>
    </ex:foo>
  </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

generates the NTriples corresponding to nodes & arcs above:

_:a <http://example.org/foo> _:b .
_:b <http://example.org/foo> _:c .
_:c <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type> <http://example.org/foo> .