Re: Using third-party vocabularies

>At 11:44 PM 12/3/02 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>>>Related to all this, I think there is a legitimate caveat:  if one
>>>makes legally binding statements using language terms defined by
>>>some other party, then one would be well advised to confirm that
>>>they define the terms persistently in a fashion that corresponds
>>>to the expected meaning.   So, in important documents, one would
>>>probably limit oneself to using vocabulary defined by some
>>>reputable organization, or standards body, etc.
>>
>>Good point to make. If you use terms from sources that you don't
>>trust, they may have consequences that you don't intend. Caveat
>>lector.
>
>Wouldn't that be caveat scriptor?

Well, OK, I guess. BUt the point is that if I invent a term and
'define' it and then you read it and use it some way that isnt in
line with what I said about it, then you, the reader of what I wrote,
have the responsibility for the mistake (and any of its
consequences). Put another way, I can't be held responsible for other
people's misunderstandings of my meanings.

>Jeremy:
>
>maybe there are a few words that should added to the Concepts draft?  e.g.
>
>[[
>In publishing a statement with potentially significant legal or
>social consequences, one should take care to use vocabulary whose
>meaning is well-defined, stable and known to correspond to the
>intended meaning.  For important documents, such as contracts, this
>may mean that use of third-party vocabulary is restricted to terms
>defined by legislature, recognized standards bodies or other
>reputable organizations.  Using terms from untrustworthy sources may
>have unintended consequences.
>]]
>
>In view of this discussion, maybe this can help to clarify some of
>the relationship between third party vocabularies and meanings?  I
>think it does address at least one of the comments we've received.

Yes, I like the above. But I think that the general principle goes
beyond just the 'significant' legal cases: it applies everywhere.

Pat

>#g

>Graham Klyne
><GK@NineByNine.org>

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam