Re: Using third-party vocabularies

At 11:44 PM 12/3/02 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>>Related to all this, I think there is a legitimate caveat:  if one makes
>>legally binding statements using language terms defined by some other
>>party, then one would be well advised to confirm that they define the
>>terms persistently in a fashion that corresponds to the expected
>>meaning.   So, in important documents, one would probably limit oneself
>>to using vocabulary defined by some reputable organization, or standards
>>body, etc.
>
>Good point to make. If you use terms from sources that you don't trust,
>they may have consequences that you don't intend. Caveat lector.

Wouldn't that be caveat scriptor?

Jeremy:

maybe there are a few words that should added to the Concepts draft?  e.g.

[[
In publishing a statement with potentially significant legal or social
consequences, one should take care to use vocabulary whose meaning is
well-defined, stable and known to correspond to the intended meaning.  For
important documents, such as contracts, this may mean that use of
third-party vocabulary is restricted to terms defined by legislature,
recognized standards bodies or other reputable organizations.  Using terms
from untrustworthy sources may have unintended consequences.
]]

In view of this discussion, maybe this can help to clarify some of the
relationship between third party vocabularies and meanings?  I think it
does address at least one of the comments we've received.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>