Re: #rdfms-identity-anon-resources: provenance

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 22:45:29 -0700
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>Graham Klyne wrote:
>[...]
> > I think that in a model, or interpretation, there are just things that are
> > denoted.
>
>Ah - I think thats the first time I've got stung by the ambiguity of the
>term 'model'.
>
>I meant to suggest that the datastructure which represents RDF/XML, i.e.
>the data model, must represent the anonimity, otherwise it is not
>representing what was in the RDF/XML that was read.

Yes. If we have genuinely anonymous nodes then they must be
recognisable as such. I gather however that this is still an open
issue, ie do we have genuinely anonymous nodes in an RDF
graph/document, or does 'anonymous' simply mean 'unspecified', so
that anonymous nodes have an URI (unique to the document which
originated it) but we just don't say what it is ?

To me, the interesting thing is that the model theory works just as
well either way. Details coming, hopefully tomorrow.

Pat

(650)859 6569 w
(650)494 3973 h (until September)
phayes@ai.uwf.edu