From: Jason Crawford <ccjason@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 01:54:43 -0400
To: "WebDAV" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

I've just entered this one in the issues list.  I think we basically
settled on this but I just want to make sure.

Proposal to remove lock null resources from the spec until we are motivated
to have them or something equivalent.  In the meantime, keep the spec
silent on the topic in order to avoid precluding LNR or the equivalent in a
future version of WebDAV.

The issue references the following posting

and more particularly the following paragraph:

So I think we should just say "A server SHOULD fail
an attempt to lock an unmapped URL", and then remain
silent on what a server might end up doing if it lets
the lock of an unmapped URL succeed.  In general,
a MAY here is of little more use to the client than having
the protocol remain discretely silent, and the
benefit of using one of the several different
flavors of lock-null behavior is unlikely to warrant
writing special purpose code for each of those flavors.

If we can get this resolved it might actually resolve a lot of other
unresolved issues on the issues list.    Let's try to settle on this by

Phone: 914-784-7569,   ccjason@us.ibm.com