rfc2818 issue: UNLOCK_BY_NON_LOCK_OWNER

From: Jason Crawford <ccjason@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 01:41:02 -0400
To: "WebDAV" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Okay All:   I'm going through the issue list and am going to try to present
two issues per week for a while.  The first one up tonight is...

UNLOCK_BY_NON_LOCK_OWNER

At present, the specification is not explicit about who might be capable of
grabbing a lock token via lock discovery and the submitting it in UNLOCK
(and/or for a subsequent write operation). It is OK for the resource owner
to grab the lock token and do UNLOCK/write? Is it OK to have a "grab lock
token" privilege that can be assigned to anyone?

The issues list notes that this was raised by Lisa Dusseault in private
email (I believe to Jim).  I also believe we discussed what is largely the
same issue briefly recently.  I think you can find them in reverse
chronological order at...

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/2001AprJun/index.html#351
in various threads mentioning lock discovery in their subject.

I'll step back and let someone else kick of the discussion on this.

J.

Phone: 914-784-7569,   ccjason@us.ibm.com