Re: collection with ordered members

From: Judith Slein <slein@wrc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 07:39:32 PST
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: Judith Slein <slein@wrc.xerox.com>, Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>, Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Yes, you did suggest this before.  Your suggestion is that we don't need a
MKCOL method, but could simply use PUT or POST with multipart/related.  Say
we use PUT, and modify its behavior to require that whenever it gets a
multipart/related body it must create a collection.  Or define a new header
that would tell it to create a collection.  The only complexity I see here
is allowing for external members.  Would we have to define a Content-Type
to hold external references?

Suppose I want to create collection /root/Coll/ with the following members:
A (internal)
/root/elsewhere/X (external)
B (internal)

Would my request look like this?

PUT /root/Coll/ HTTP/1.1
Host: www.myserver.com
Object-Type: collection

--xyz

some stuff
more stuff
more stuff

--xyz

http://www.myserver.com/root/elsewhere/X

--xyz

text text text
text text text

--xyz

Presumably even if we decide to define MKCOL, multipart/related could be
our standard entity body.

--Judy