Re: collection with ordered members

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 15:02:50 PDT
To: Judith Slein <slein@wrc.xerox.com>
CC: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>, Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
> Or if you prefer it, we could define a body for PUT that servers should
> understand as a compound document, assigning a URL to each component as
> well as to the whole, and requiring them to support INDEX for these
> documents.  We could define the headers to be used for ordering.  We could
> define how MOVE, COPY, and DELETE work for such compound documents.  It
> just seems more straightforward to work collections, since we've got all
> these basic behaviors defined for them.

(Did I send this before?)  'multipart/related' seems like the right
body for PUT (or is it POST) that servers should understand as a
compound document.

It's exactly what is being used for POSTing related compound documents
to email addresses, in the MHTML working group.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter