collection with ordered members

From: Jim Davis <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 20:57:58 PDT
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
For certain applications, it is important to be able to specify the order
of members of a collection.  For example,  a compound document made of
pages wants a well defined order of the pages.

The spec says nothing whatsoever about the order of members when one does
an INDEX.  It should say something, even if what it says is "no promises".

I would like to have ordered collections, but I can appreciate that in the
interests of simplicity you might not want to support this.  If there is
interest in extending the spec to support ordered collections, I would be
happy to write up some ideas about how to do it.  Basically, I'd suggest
adding headers to PUT and ADDREF allowing you to specify the URI of a
resource that the resource being added is to come either after or before.
I would not propose any method for re-ordering collections at this time.