RE: collection with ordered members

From: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 22:58:54 -0700
To: "'Jim Davis'" <jdavis@parc.xerox.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Compound documents are not collections. Collections are only used, by
definition, for unordered membership lists. I will make that clearer in
the spec.

If a resource is a collection then it supports INDEX, the opposite is
not necessarily true.

So, for example, someone could PUT a MIME multipart on a server. The
server, which sprekens ze multipart, could automatically support the
INDEX method on that resource. Even better, it could enhance the INDEX
results to include a property which identifies the section ID and
ordering information for the multipart. However this sort of
functionality can be built on top of DAV without requiring any
modifications to DAV.