RE: i0001: EPRs as identifiers (why XML?)

To add to DaveO's response, remember the purpose of the sub-address.
It's used in conjunction with the address URI to enable the
infrastructure to deliver the message to its ultimate destination.  It's
designed to work with SOAP, which defines headers for the purpose of
delivering the message to the ultimate SOAP destination.  SOAP headers
are XML.  Thus it is quite natural for RefProps to be XML as well, to
eliminate a translation or binding process from some other form (plain
text?) to XML.  A model that wasn't SOAP-centric perhaps wouldn't get as
much synergy from XML.